We are hiring!
Position: Part Time Receptionist
Offic: Parish Administration
Reports to: Pastor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Receptionist / Administrative Assistant I is responsible for providing first-point-of-contact customer service for general inquiries and visitors to the Parish. Primary duties are operating the main switchboard and greeting callers, assessing their needs, and directing them to the appropriate parties. Stationed at the front desk on the ground floor, the Receptionist/Administrative Assistant receives and directs both walk-in and scheduled visitors. As a member of the Parish Administration Office, this employee assists in other clerical and/or administrative task of the Office as needed, and performs all duties and responsibilities in alignment with the mission, vision and values of the Catholic Archdiocese of Miami.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide exemplary customer service to employees and others who contact Parish by phone or in person, assess their needs and direct them to the appropriate parties.
- Provide callers answers to basic questions on operations, office locations and schedules, or document their concerns for escalation to the appropriate party.
- Grant access to visitors through lock entry door. Exercise good judgment in granting access and ask anyone who manifests a threat, to leave. Contact supervisor or police as needed.
- Provide to those inquiring with the guidelines for both Weddings and Baptisms. Should more information be requested take message and placed in the mailbox of the Parish Secretary.
- Process Mass intentions. Gather information on intention, reserved date and time in Mass Book, collect money and provide receipt to parishioner.
- Contact priest on duty in the event of a sick call or hospital visit.
- Note requests for house blessings and pass necessary information to the requested priest.
- Record all necessary information for memorial and funeral masses. Place information into the mailbox of the Parish Secretary.
- Process room requests with the appropriate form.
- Provide room keys to ministries in accordance with parish rules and regulations.
- Close down/lock up office at end of every shift following operational protocol.
- Learns basic terminology and titles of personnel in the Roman Catholic Church, especially in relation to hierarchical structure, in order to effectively relay messages and policies.
- Assist with Parish office tasks as assigned with confidentiality and discretion, demonstrating excellent internal and external customer service.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience.
- Minimum: High School diploma or GED and one year administrative experience in a customer-service environment. Some switchboard experience required.
- Preferred: Post-secondary College or business-school education and one year switchboard experience in a customer-service environment.
- Experience in a Roman Catholic environment strongly preferred.
- Good oral and written English-language communication skills, including clear speaking voice.
Other Knowledge, Skills, Attitudes.
- Knowledge of basic tenets of Catholic Church, hierarchical structure and entities.
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, including calendar function. Basic word processing skills in MS Word.
- Good computer literacy, including ability to navigate search engines effectively in order to locate information for callers.
- Must learn and familiarize self with Archdiocesan Web site.
- Good verbal skills in English and Spanish.
- Excellent customer service skills, including ability to maintain focus on and professionalism with people in challenging situations, both in person and by phone.
- Must be able to multi-task and retain accuracy in an environment of fielding simultaneous callers and visitors.
- Must be supportive of the mission and tenets of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Must have a professional demeanor and demonstrated ability and experience in maintaining strict confidentiality.
Customer Focus (Internal and External): Effectively meeting customer needs and taking responsibility for customer satisfaction.
Attention to Detail / Quality Orientation: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, including minute details; showing concern accuracy and good quality output; accurately checking processes and tasks. Monitoring activities.
Collaboration: Working effectively and cooperatively with others, asking clarifying questions for the purpose of achieving common objectives. Building and maintaining good working relationships with employees.
Dependability: Being punctual to work, reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations with a willing attitude.
Managing Work: Effectively managing time and resources to ensure that work is completed to meet expectations.
Inductive Reasoning / Problem Sensitivity: Sensitive to observation and identification of issues presenting out-of-the-norm and that may be indicative of problems needing to be addressed.
Work Standards: Set expectation of high performance standards and hold oneself accountable for accurate and timely completion of tasks and projects.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods at a workstation
- Must have visual acuity to spot and re-direct unauthorized or misguided walk-ins to premises.
- Must have adequate hearing.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.