Dear Engaged Couple,
Our parish community is happy that you are planning on being married in our parish Church. Love is a beautiful thing. Marriage is a beautiful thing. You are about to embark on the most important journey of your lives. Marriage is a radical new way of life and so the Church wants to assist you in preparing well for your new life together.
These guidelines are written to avoid oral misunderstandings and mis-communications about your wedding arrangements. May the Holy Spirit be with you to help and guide you always.
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both parties must be free to marry.
- At least one party must be Roman Catholic.
- There must be no outside force influencing the marriage.
- There must be a serious intention of a lifelong union and commitment.
- At least one member of the couple must be a parishioner. If the couple belongs to another Parish, permission is needed from the other Parish.
- The completion of the Pre-Cana Preparations.
- The couple should speak with the Pastor of St. Pius X Church to discuss the date and time of their planned marriage. If none of the parties are parishioners at our Church, the couple should make an appointment with the pastor at their home parish and ask to be prepared for being married and that you are planning the marriage ceremony to take place at St. Pius X Church in Ft. Lauderdale.
- The pastor will prepare the necessary documents, legal forms and necessary dispensations. See more details about paperwork on the next page.
- Your pastor will provide the couple with the necessary instructions before marriage: This includes the completion of a pre-marital inventory (Fully Engaged) and an Engagement Encounter. Dates, times, places and other pertinent information will be provided.
If you have any questions during your preparations for the wedding, please contact the priest who will be most willing to assist you so that your special day will be a treasured memory for you and for all.